Friday, September 30, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies

I don't know what the weather is like where you are....but it's COLD here in Indianapolis.  Like really cold.  I think what makes it so bad is the wind, it blows my dog Winston (get to know and love him, I'm sure I'll mention him a lot) right over.  And then I laugh, and then I feel like a bad parent...it's a vicious cycle I tell ya!

Anyway, when I'm cold there is a list of things I want; sweat pants, obnoxious fuzzy socks, soup, hot tea, and warm cookies....just to name a few. Well, I've taken care of everything on the list except for the soup.  I'll save that for when it's so cold I avoid going outdoors.  It's happened. Don't judge. 

Warms your heart doesn't it.

My favorite item on my cold list are the cookies. And this week I made gingerbread. Soft, chewy, warm gingerbread.  The smell alone is enough to make you die and go to heaven.  And yes, I realize my gingerbread is in the shape of a heart and not a man, I just can't eat something that is smiling at me.  It ain't right! It is like when people get cakes that look just like their dogs, who wants to cut into their dog?!


Make sure you cool your cookies before you frost them.  Don't take them straight from the oven and scarf one without expecting to burn a few taste buds like SOME people ( me )



When they cool just pipe a little glaze on. Or you can dunk the whole cookie if you want to get crazy with it.  I'll support you in that!

Gingerbread Cookies:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

If you have a kitchen aid mixer with a paddle, I highly recommend using it! Cream butter and brown sugar together, add egg until mixed completely.  In a separate bowl sift together flour, backing powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Make sure the dry ingredients are mixed together.  Add molasses and vanilla to butter mixture. Slowly incorporate dry mixture. Once everything is mixed well together wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate dough for 1 hour, remove from fridge and let it sit at room temp for 30 minutes. 

Flour your surface and rolling pin, roll dough out to about 1/4 inch and use whichever cookie cutters you'd like.  (you can even make little smiling men if you're in to that)

Bake for 7min (for soft) and up to 11min (for crunchy) at 375.

Quick Glaze
2 tablespoons softened butter (just use the two you have left over from the cookies)
1 tablespoon half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar ( eye ball it to desired consistency)



 





No comments:

Post a Comment